Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Istanbul Modern

Istanbul Modern is a museum of contemporary art in Istanbul.  Its opening was on 11th December, 2004. By opening this kind of museum Istanbul associates with European and International developments.

The museum prominently features work of Turkish artists what makes it very interesting for Europeans.

The museum is located on the Bosporus in a converted warehouse. The exhibition is outspread on two floors. Work from the museum's permanent collection, as well a shop and restaurant, are located on the top floor, while temporary exhibitions are located on the lower floor. On the lower floor you can also find a cinema and arts library, which is really nice!

It is not allowed to take pictures inside the exhibition area. Currently there is also a part of the Bienale located, for which you have to pay extra ( Bienale is a contemporarily art exhibition; it is every two years held in Istanbul and it is organised by the “Istanbul Foundation for Culture and Arts” . By the way, I forgot to tell you about the entrace price; it’s 5 TL (for students)! Really an adorable price for this kind of exhibition!!! However even if non students have to pay more; it is good invested chips!
I really enjoyed to see so many new artist and a lot of them were Turkish or from other eastern countries. I completely felt like in a different world because I’ve been out of this noisy area, no hectic, not that crowded and so much nice pieces of art. I saw installations, traditional painting, concept art, mixed media and different materials which were used.

I put a picture of one of my favorite installation here. It is the one with the books; I don’t know what you think when you see it on a picture but I was impressed by the effect.






Maybe you also have been there once?

What was your favorite?



Here is a video and the artist (she is femal ) who is shown  from Minute 4:20 (she is taking all the scarfs down) is quite popular in germany. She is half german half turkish.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Diana,

    It was nice to read your journal entry about a museum. That is an unusual and unique subject. I really enjoyed reading your journal entry because you have a great point of view and good technic of writing. To begin with your title is simple and understandable since clearly announces the theme of your writing. The content of your journal appeals to my interests, thus it drew my attention and I decided to write on this journal of yours. You have developed your opinions effectively by giving supporting sentences. Also, the content is very informative about the museum. Considering your organization, I think your journal is very well-structured. You have used connectors properly. In general, you have grouped the ideas about the same topic together into paragraphs. There are just small errors such as "inside the exhibition area", "a contemporarily art exhibition", "good invested chips", etc. However, it is appealing for me as a whole. Thanks to you I happened to know it and I am planning on going to this museum.

    ReplyDelete